26 April 2018

A Day at Nami Island - (남이섬) South Korea

Nami Island - South Korea

Nami Island is just over an hour away from Seoul and a great way to spend a day away from the city and in some nature. The island was made famous by it's appearance in a classic romantic Korean drama called Winter Sonata which I haven't personally watched but I know was very popular, especially here in Thailand! We visited Namiseom on Christmas Day and although Christmas has long since passed as it's KDrama month on Cateaclysmic I thought it would be the perfect time to share my perfect day on the island of romance.

Nami Island - South Korea

Nami is beautiful place to visit all year round but I heard it was especially beautiful in winter and it really was with the snow and the soft winter sunlight. I've never really had a "White Christmas" before so this was a mini dream come true and although I was freezing that day it was worth braving the cold to visit and see all the beautiful sights around Nami.

Nami Island - South Korea

One of the attractions at Nami is the ostriches they have living there which was quite a strange sight to see in the snow considering they're native to the African deserts but they did seem quite happy and healthy, and they looked a lot warmer than I felt! I've never been that close to an ostrich before so it was amazing to see just how big they actually are and the size of their feet, one powerful kick from them could probably kill you...

Nami Island - South Korea

Hotteok is one of my absolute favourite Korean treats and I think I ate it almost every day whilst I was in Seoul, it's most commonly sold in winter and it's the perfect thing to warm you up on a cold winters day. I'm not quite sure why the hotteok on Nami was green but it tasted good and I kinda wished I had bought another but I was already full from the giant salad I had for lunch but if you ever have the chance to try some DO IT! They also have a savoury version with japchae (korean noodles) inside which is really tasty to.

Nami Island - South Korea

There were cute snowmen all over Nami and lot's of them were dressed in traditional costumes from different countries from all over the world, the ones above are Thai. Nami also had flags from all around the world and signs welcoming visitors in many different languages which was really nice to see and tourists even get a slight discount on admission to the island. I heard so many different languages spoken that day and a lot of Thai, I mentioned that Winter Sonata was a popular drama in Thailand but I had no idea just how popular it was until I saw the busloads of Thai tourists lining up to take photos with the Winter Sonata statues there.

Nami Island - South Korea

A lot of places in Korea have area where you can draw and write on the walls which I kinda love as it gives a homely vibe and I always love reading the little messages and seeing the cute drawings people leave behind after their visits. For some reason Nami just made me feel really sentimental as it was such the perfect day and such a romantic setting and there was me #FOREVERALONE, I guess being in such a beautiful setting just has that effect on people but at least I was with my BFF who lives sooo damn far away from me and I never get to see, anytime we're together is a good time ♥


So that was my day in Nami. I imagine it looks like a completely different place in the summer and I would love to go again as it's pretty easy to reach by subway from Seoul, there's also Petite France and The Garden of Morning Calm nearby which I'd like to see and have also featured in many Korean dramas so no doubt this won't the end of my Korean drama adventures it's only the start, who knows maybe next time I'll get the Train to Busan...

Don't forget to check out my giveaway and let me know your favourite Asian dramas
Love & Snowflakes
Cate
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment