28 May 2014

Cherry Jam Cake (Vegan & Gluten Free)


Baking for my Mum is always fun as I get to test out my dairy-free, gluten-free baking skills. Earlier this year she gifted me with a bag of coconut flour so I thought I would treat her with delicious loaf cake using her favourite additions of jam, cherries and almonds. One of my main issues with gluten-free baking is that it often comes out a bit dry but the addition of jam and banana really helped give it a nice moist texture. The most important thing though was that my Mum liked it and judging by the speed it was devoured I think I can call this a baking success!


Ingredients
  • 1 cup coconut flour
  • 1 cup self-raising gluten free flour
  • 1 cup jam
  • 1 small mashed banana
  • 1/2 cup halved glacĂ© cherries
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 cup carotino oil 
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds & 1 cup of water
  • Almond flakes

♥ Preheat an oven to 180°c then grease and line a loaf tin.

♥ Place the chia seeds in a bowl with one cup of water and allow to soak for 5 - 10 minutes until the seeds have swelled and the water has been absorbed.

♥ In another bowl mix together the flours and baking powder then mix in the oil, almond milk, mashed banana and soaked chia seeds until combined.

♥ Fold in the cherries and jam but try not to overmix so you get a swirled effect throughout the batter.

♥ Pour the batter into the loaf tin and sprinkle some flaked almonds on top

♥ Bake in the oven for 30 - 40 minuted until golden brown.

♥ Once baked remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool before serving.

♥ Serve with tea and enjoy!

Good Luck
Cate
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment