20 July 2018

The Elephant Retirement Park - Chiang Mai - Thailand

Elephant Retirement Park

Elephants are one of my favourite creatures and I've been lucky enough to have some amazing experiences with them over the years. Elephants are very beloved in Thailand and there has been a big movement to help conserve them and end zoos which force them to beg and perform. I have definitely noticed over the recent year how there are a lot less elephants on the city streets and how the attitude towards animals has changed, a lot more people are aware of animal cruelty and less people are supporting this exploitative practice and just want elephants to live our their natural lives in the jungle, which is how it should be. That being said sadly there still are a lot of places where it is common practice to ride and see elephants perform and while I understand tourist come to Thailand to see elephants I ask that you please consider of the lives of these elephants, do a little research and only visit the places that support and conserve these beautiful creatures.

Elephant Retirement Park

The Elephant Retirement Park is one of these places which does not offer any rides or force the elephants to do tricks or beg for treats, instead gives them a place where they can be free from chains and hard labour and enjoy their lives in harmony with the humans who take care of them by simply treating them with the kindness and compassion they deserve.

Elephant Retirement Park

One of the major driving forces for my to return to Thailand and learn my native language was so I could help rescue, rehabilitate and educate people on animal welfare and how these animals should be respected. I try to highlight the smaller charities as much as I can as I know how much they need the recognition and support. The Elephant Retirement Park is funded entirely on donations, they don't ask much from you either and a day spent learning about and being next to these beautiful creatures is less than $80 which is such a small cost especially when you think of how much food alone is needed for these animals to live on. The price of a day with the elephants also includes transport to the park from Chiang Mai and a delicious so they really aren't making a lot of money and need as much support as we can give them so they can build a better environment and rescue more elephants from the tourist and agriculture trade.

Elephant Retirement Park

Being this close to these beautiful creatures really is just a life changing experience, they're just so loving and gentle. It's not my first time being this close to them, I've been to zoos, I've seen them perform and sadly I've rode on them to but this is the first time being this close to them since I made a real conscious effort to never again support any cruelty against any creature and the atmosphere was completely different. I really felt the love and respect, seeing the elephants free to run about and play in the mud and just be themselves, there were no picks axes, no shouting, no stress, there was just an aura of awe and genuine happiness.

Elephant Retirement Park

There are so many charities in Thailand dedicating their lives to preserving the world's creatures and giving them a better life and they need all our support, I had an absolutely magical day and it really warmed my heart. So if you do visit Thailand please be conscious of the places you visit and how they treat their animals and make more of an effort to support the charities that want to give these creatures a better life.


What is your favourite animal?
Love & Sugar Cane
Cate
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment