05 January 2023

Vegan Eggless Egg Sandwich 🥪


The colder mornings here in the mountains of Northern Thailand have got me craving some hearty warm breakfasts. Lately I've been seeing a lot of delicious looking egg sandwiches on my Instagram feed so I decided to try and create my own breakfast eggless egg sandwich using some homemade tofu from my local market.


The main ingredient of this sandwich is the tofu scramble which is really easy and simple to make and fully customisable to you tastes so feel free to add in your own herbs and spices and extra veggies. I added some vegan mayonnaise and avocado to my sandwich which gave the scramble an extra creaminess but feel free to use your own sauces like ketchup, BBQ or Sriracha sauce for an extra kick.

 
You can use whatever bread you want for this recipe, I just toasted some regular sandwich bread I had left but this works great with sourdough, in a baguette, bagel or even a croissant, it makes a really great breakfast, hearty but not heavy, perfect to give you an energy and a mood boost on cold day.

Ingredients
  • 100g firm tofu
  • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1 tbsp soy milk
  • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 small cloves of garlic
  • 2 medium sized tomatoes
  • A handful of button mushrooms
  • Cilantro to garnish

Step 1 - Prepare the tofu
Crumble the tofu into a bowl and mix in the nutritional yeast, soy milk, smoked paprika and salt and pepper.

Step 2  - Prepare the vegetables
Dice the garlic and tomatoes and slice the mushrooms into small pieces, chop the cilantro and leave to one side for garnish

Step 3 - Cook
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan on a medium high heat and add the garlic, once that garlic is slightly crispy add in the tomatoes, mushroom and tofu crumble mix, you don't need to cook it for too long, just until the vegetables are softened and the tofu is warmed through. Once cooked sprinkle on the cilantro and it's ready to go.

Step 4 - Sandwich time!!
There should be enough of the tofu scramble for 2 - 3 sandwiches depending on how big you want to make them OR you can just serve the tofu scramble on its own as is.


Happy New Year
Be sure to tag me on Instagram if you make it
Love & Hugs
Cate
xoxo


If you like what you see and want to see more can support me by clicking the button below



2 comments:

  1. I make a batch of tofu scrabble spread almost every week! It's a good source of protein and vitamin b12 and super tasty! My recipe is similar to yours but I add some turmeric and onion powder to mine. I've never used soy milk though! I will have to try it next time! ♥
    www.mooeyandfriends.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to add some turmeric for the colour but the nutritional yeast make it look yellow enough so I left it out because it's hard to find here so I'm rationing it lol sometimes I put oregano in there or even sesame seeds and the soy milk just makes it a little more creamy especially if the tofu is a little dry, post photos when you make it I'd love to see it xoxo

      Delete