11 December 2011

The Frequent Flyer: Horse Riding Through Narnia


Some of you who follow me on Twitter may know that I took a short but magical break to the Land of Ice and Fire AKA Iceland and whilst there I fulfilled one of my childhood fantasies of horse riding in the snow although I never actually planned for it to snow lucky for me the snow started falling on the morning we had planned our ride and completely transformed the amazingly beautiful scenery into something vast, white and mysterious.


This was my first time horse riding, it's one of those things that's been on my to-do list for the longest time so I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, if it would be difficult to do or if it would be painful but thankfully the staff were wonderful with us giving us simple instructions on how the handle the horses, mount and dismount, and my horse Struoka was lovely, calm and very patient with me.


Icelandic horses are smaller than your average horse but just as sturdy and they love the cold weather, so being out in the snow that morning was a great treat for them and us, we were only out riding for a couple hours but they had to have been some of the best hours of my life!


It was such a great experience riding through the falling snow in such a magical setting I almost felt like I was in a fairytale place and I'd somehow fallen through my closet and landed in the mystical land of Narnia. My horse was so lovely and friendly with me even when she went a little too fast and nearly overtook the instructors she slowed down when I told her to and didn't throw me off which is always a good sign!


Seeing Iceland on horseback was such an amazingly beautiful thing to do, even though I was quite cold and wet (but luckily not sore!) towards the end of it, it was one of the best things I've ever experienced and if given the chance I would do it again in a heartbeat, so who knows maybe I might take some horse riding lessons in the new year...

Snowflakes & Sugarcubes
Cate
xoxo

Related Links

1 comment:

  1. That horse is so cute!

    Beautiful pictures. Oh how I can't wait for it to snow here in England!

    ReplyDelete