24 March 2009

A New Obsession

Mica playing with my new toy camera by halixia

Do you remember what your first camera looked like when you were younger? I remember mine was a small yellow one with a bright red button which I got as a gift from one of my aunties, my brother also got the same in blue and I remember wanting to swap with him as I preferred the colour blue. That was the start of many other cameras I got as a child, a sparkly Barbie one, a disc camera and one which printed captions on the photos, but they've all since been lost or broken.

Last Christmas I received a Fisheye camera, which lead me to find out about the world of lomography and toy cameras. These camera's create the most wonderful and fun pictures, they can either distort the world you see or add a splash of colour to it, they don't create your average photo but something wonderful and imaginative and they look just as amazing as the pictures they take.


Spreckles Organ Pavilion by Me

I took my fisheye with me to San Diego to try out, excited to see what pictures it would create and I must say I'm absolutely delighted with the results, so much that I have since bought two more toy cameras which I am eager to test out.

This obsession does come with a big problem though as with people moving towards digital cameras most shops seem to be taking film off the shelves and processing some films has become difficult. I personally prefer working with film because of that excitement you get waiting to see how your photos came out and what they look like, it's part of the enjoyment of taking pictures which you don't get with digital. Digital cameras mean you're always aiming for the perfect shot but with some photos its their imperfections that make them, the glare off the lens or an accidental double exposure. I have found that film is still widely available to buy in Asia where toy camera's seem to be quite popular so there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

城市之花 by art.style

Even though I already have three toy cameras I have my eyes on a couple more which I would like to try out to. These cameras give me a different view on the world and make me notice things that I wouldn't normally or take for granted and I'm always eager and interested to see the results and the results of others, it's opened a whole new world for me and it's one that I'm excited to see.

1 comment:

  1. I really love lomos!
    I have one big fisheye camera, but I really love those tiny ones too ^^
    I have to purchase one next time I'll go to Japan :D
    Love the pics You took!
    My first camera, when I was something like 2 Years old looked exactly like that one, only colour was pink :D
    It has been a lovely jump into the past XD
    Have a lovely day Katty!

    ReplyDelete