04 October 2014

5 Fandom Friday: Gateway Fandoms That Made Me Who I Am Today


The Nerdy Girly & SuperSpaceChick came up with this awesome community project "5 Fandom Friday" which sounded like so much fun I definitely had to join in. Everyone has an origin story and when I think back to my geeky past it becomes obvious to me how much film and TV have influenced me and made me the person I am today. Whether we love film, TV, books or video games we've all got a nerdy history. I watch a lot of TV, probably too much, but then geeks do have a tendency to be obsessive about things, so these are the ones that opened the gate and had the biggest influence on the person I am today.

Ghostbusters is the first movie (and cartoon) I remember loving and it definitely started off a lifetime obsession with all things supernatural. I actually remember getting a little flack for liking Ghostbusters when I was a kid because it wasn't a "girly thing" but as my parents told people "she likes what she likes!" and even after those Barbie dolls started to creep into my life I still had them driving around in my Ghostbusters car. Gender plays no part in the things that you love it doesn't matter if you wear skirts and shoot guns, as long as it makes you happy it doesn't matter what other people think.

Admittedly I was more of a Superman fan growing up but I have to mention the awesomely camp and fun classic Batman series because without it I wouldn't have found my love for Supes. My dad told me that my Grandad didn't like him watching this when he was growing up because he thought it was silly (he's not wrong!) so he was a little jealous when my Grandad let me watch it. This series was the one that introduced me to the superhero world which is obviously a major part of my life now and despite its cheesiness I still love it and Adam West is definitely high on the list of my favourite Batmen, POW!

Growing up I was obsessed with all things ghostly and then The X-Files came along and opened up a whole new world for me, aliens. I used to wear a long black coat to school and pretend I was Scully, I loved her she was smart and fierce and everything I wanted to be. I collected all the toys, the trading cards, read the comics, the books, I wrote to the studio to tell them how much I loved the show and they wrote back, I even made a trip to Area 51! This show had a big impact on me and definitely unleashed my geeky obsessive tendencies.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is such a big part of my teenage years, I re-watched the whole series again recently and it just brought back all those feelings and all those struggles I had when I first watched it. Buffy and I went on a real journey together her struggles were my struggles and seeing how she got through them and fought back really helped me. I loved the monsters and the stories but more than that I loved how real the characters were, they gave me something to relate and aspire to and I'll always be grateful for that.

If Buffy was a reflection of my teenage years then Supernatural has to be a refection of my twenties, it's been nearly a decade since this show came into my life and it's still going. I love that all the monsters and demon featured are connected to "real" folklore, I love the music, I love the humour and I love the Winchesters. Family is a major theme and "family don't end with blood" which I think is especially true in your twenties as you journey to find your own sense of home.


Be sure to check out "5 Fandom Friday" and share your geeky history with the community!
Love & Marshmallows
Cate
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment